The A50S was designed specifically for use in Beatleweight and Featherweight combat robots. It runs the extremely popular VESC®*-Project firmware. We use it for drive on our FW Elevate and weapon/drive on our BW Uplift.
Our biggest problem with the BLHeli_32 ESCs that are very popular for BW weapons, is the lack of a sensible programming interface. So we have a standard microUSB connector for connection to a PC for tuning with VESC®* Tool.
Additionally by using VESC® firmware they have excellent current control so you are less likely to melt your motors!
A key feature required for robot use is HFI (High Frequency Injection) which after tuning allows the ESC to know exactly what the position of the motor is at all times. This means the maximum torque can be obtained even without the use of sensors. Its a bit like having a virtual encoder attached to the motor.
The A50S can be used for both Brushed and Brushless motors.
Quick tips on setup
Max battery cable length without additional capacitors is 30cm
!!ONLY USE 1 BEC, cut the 5v wire on all but one or the BEC can be damaged!!
Please be careful when programming settings.
We recommend detecting motors using the FOC motor setup wizard. This will automatically find the correct settings for your motor.
LiPo batteries are extremely dangerous if handled incorrectly.
ALWAYS run with a fuse.
23A continuous with no additional cooling
35A continuous with light airflow
- Dimensions: 34.2 x 17.9 x 5.5mm without wires
- Weight ~19g including wires and heatshrink
- Battery/Motor cable length: 10cm
- 14 AWG silicone motor and battery cables
- 26 AWG silicone PPM/Servo connector
- Integrated 0.4A 5V BEC
Motor Commutation Modes
- FOC - Sensorless, HFI
- BLDC - Sensorless
- DC - For driving brushed DC motors on outputs A and C.
Motor Control Modes
- Current - Controls current to motor irrespective of duty cycle
- Duty Cycle - Controls duty cycle sent to motor irrespective of current
- PID RPM control - Controls motor RPM using a PID loop, gives high torque even at low rpm.
- 4-27v, 2-6S LiPo
- Active current limiting - actively limits motor current to stay below programmed limit
- Software over current protection - stops motor running if the current exceeds programmed limit
- Slow temperature cutoff - ramps down motor current when approaching programmed max temperature
- Battery voltage cutoff - ramps down motor current when approaching programmed voltage cutoff
- Under / Over Voltage cutoff - stops motor running if the voltage goes outside the programmed range
Programming features - using VESC®* Tool
- Adjustable current limits, Battery and Motor current are independently controlled
- Adjustable voltage limits
- Adjustable RPM limits
- Adjustable Power limits
- Adjustable duty cycle limits
- Adjustable regenerative braking
- Adjustable throttle curves and ramping time
- Real time and Sampled Data monitoring and graphing
- Automatic motor detection and tuning
- HFI turning
Motors tested and tuned to work, (Config files available here https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1md26k83i8Agh_BcT1hI3vRV4ectFP86r)
- 1806 - 2300kv (OPBox motor)
- TP2040 - 3Y 6050kv
- SK3 4250
- NTM4248 - 650kv
The A50S is based upon the VESC®*-Project.
* VESC is a registered TM, owned by Benjamin Vedder