New V2.3 now here, includes power connectors to make swapping ESCs easier and a huge 20 pin logic connector for Hall sensors, UART, CANBus, etc.
Now features an Aux power input, allowing you to power the logic from an alternative power source.
To use the A50S with input voltages above 52v (12s) on the XT30 main power input, the aux power input must be supplied with a voltage lower than 52v and the diode next to the XT30 must be removed.
Orders selecting the 100v mosfets will have the diode removed as standard.
The A50S was designed specifically for use in Beatleweight and Featherweight combat robots. It runs the extremely popular VESC®*-Project firmware. We use it for drive on our FW Elevate and weapon/drive on our BW Uplift.
Our biggest problem with the BLHeli_32 ESCs that are very popular for BW weapons, is the lack of a sensible programming interface. So we have a standard microUSB connector for connection to a PC for tuning with VESC®* Tool.
Additionally by using VESC® firmware they have excellent current control so you are less likely to melt your motors!
The A50S can be used for both Brushed and Brushless motors.
This is the first design to move away from the standard JST connectors found on many VESC®*-Project designs. We found these tend to pull out in combat and they take up too much space on the PCB to make a compact design.
For this reason we have decided to replace ALL the connectors (apart from USB) with a single 20 pin Pico-Clasp connector. This is a locking connector which lets you fit as many or as few pins as you want.
So if you only want PPM control you only fit the PPM wires. Each unit comes with a connector shell and enough pre-crimped wires to populate the whole connector. We leave it up to you to decide which connections you want.
Included in the package
- A50S V2.3
- XT30 connector
- MR30 connector and cable cover
- Pico-clasp 20pin connector shell + 10 double ended precrimped wires (enough to populate the connector)
- Capacitor - solder on the cable as close to the A50S as possible.
Quick tips on setup
Please attach included capacitor as close to the unit as possible.
!!ONLY USE 1 BEC, do not connect the 5v wire on all but one or the BEC can be damaged!!
Please be careful when programming settings.
We recommend detecting motors using the FOC motor setup wizard. This will automatically find the correct settings for your motor.
LiPo batteries are extremely dangerous if handled incorrectly.
ALWAYS run with a fuse.
Current Handling - Motor current - Thermal Limits without heatsink
8S (40V FETs)
26A (motor) continuous with no additional cooling, no heatsink
80A (motor) burst
12S (60V FETS)
20A (motor) continuous with no additional cooling, no heatsink
80A (motor) burst (4s with no heatsink)
20S (100V FETS) requires aux power input - Coming Soon
18A (motor) continuous with no additional cooling, no heatsink
80A (motor) burst (2s with no heatsink)
- Dimensions: 35.5 x 21 x 13.8mm without connectors,
- Weight ~11g ~30g with heatsink
- 3D models avaliable here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Uu2ekqWRjQy-1kAd9qATjfwv0aw9FCOZ?usp=sharing
- Phase filters
- Integrated 500mA 5V BEC
- Aux power input 6-52V
- XT30 Battery input
- MR30 Motor output
- MicroUSB for connection to VESC®*-Tool
- 20 Pin Pico-Clasp connector for IO
Hall, Motor temp, 5v, 3.3v, SWD, External ADCs, SPI, I2C, PPM, CANBus, Aux power
Motor Commutation Modes
- FOC - Sensorless, Hall Sensors, HFI
- BLDC - Sensorless, Hall Sensors
- DC - For driving brushed DC motors on outputs A and C.
Motor Control Modes
- Current - Controls current (torque) to motor irrespective of duty cycle
- Duty Cycle - Controls duty cycle sent to motor irrespective of current
- PID RPM control - Controls motor RPM using a PID loop, gives high torque even at low rpm.
- CANBus (UAVCANv0)
- 8S Model: 6-37v, 2-8S LiPo
- 12S Model: 6-52v, 2-12S LiPo
- Coming soon - 20S Model: Main power: 6-84v, Aux power: 6-52v, 2-20S LiPo
- Active current limiting - actively limits motor current to stay below programmed limit
- Software over current protection - stops motor running if the current exceeds programmed limit
- Slow temperature cutoff - ramps down motor current when approaching programmed max temperature
- Battery voltage cutoff - ramps down motor current when approaching programmed voltage cutoff
- Under / Over Voltage cutoff - stops motor running if the voltage goes outside the programmed range
Programming features - using VESC®* Tool
- Adjustable current limits, Battery and Motor current are independently controlled
- Adjustable voltage limits
- Adjustable RPM limits
- Adjustable Power limits
- Adjustable duty cycle limits
- Adjustable regenerative braking
- Adjustable throttle curves and ramping time
- Real time and Sampled Data monitoring and graphing
- Automatic motor detection and tuning
- MAD M9C12
- ThrustMe thruster
- XAG A16
The A50S runs the popular VESC®*-Project firmware by Benjamin Vedder.
* VESC is a registered TM, owned by Benjamin Vedder