New V2.1 now here, includes power connectors to make swapping ESCs easier and a huge 20 pin logic connector for Hall sensors, UART, CANBus, etc.
The A50S was designed specifically for use in Beatleweight and Featherweight combat robots. It runs the extremely popular VESC®*-Project firmware. We use it for drive on our FW Elevate and weapon/drive on our BW Uplift.
Our biggest problem with the BLHeli_32 ESCs that are very popular for BW weapons, is the lack of a sensible programming interface. So we have a standard microUSB connector for connection to a PC for tuning with VESC®* Tool.
Additionally by using VESC® firmware they have excellent current control so you are less likely to melt your motors!
The A50S can be used for both Brushed and Brushless motors.
Quick tips on setup
Please attach included capacitor as close to the unit as possible.
!!ONLY USE 1 BEC, do not connect the 5v wire on all but one or the BEC can be damaged!!
Please be careful when programming settings.
We recommend detecting motors using the FOC motor setup wizard. This will automatically find the correct settings for your motor.
LiPo batteries are extremely dangerous if handled incorrectly.
ALWAYS run with a fuse.
6S (30V FETs)
22A continuous with no additional cooling
35A continuous with light airflow
12S (80V FETS, 65V MAX)
15A continuous with no additional cooling
25A continuous with light airflow
- Dimensions: 35.5 x 21 x 13.8mm without wires
- Weight ~8g
- XT30 Battery input
- MR30 Motor output
- 20 Pin Pico-Clasp connector for IO
Hall, Motor temp, 5v, 3.3v, SWD, External ADCs, SPI, I2C, PPM, CANBus, Power enable
Motor Commutation Modes
- FOC - Sensorless, Hall Sensors, HFI
- BLDC - Sensorless, Hall Sensors
- DC - For driving brushed DC motors on outputs A and C.
Motor Control Modes
- Current - Controls current to motor irrespective of duty cycle
- Duty Cycle - Controls duty cycle sent to motor irrespective of current
- PID RPM control - Controls motor RPM using a PID loop, gives high torque even at low rpm.
- CANBus (UAVCANv0)
- 6S Model: 4-27v, 2-6S LiPo
- 12S Model: 4-52v, 2-12S LiPo
Limited by DCDC at 65V MAX
MOSFETs are 80V.
- Active current limiting - actively limits motor current to stay below programmed limit
- Software over current protection - stops motor running if the current exceeds programmed limit
- Slow temperature cutoff - ramps down motor current when approaching programmed max temperature
- Battery voltage cutoff - ramps down motor current when approaching programmed voltage cutoff
- Under / Over Voltage cutoff - stops motor running if the voltage goes outside the programmed range
Programming features - using VESC®* Tool
- Adjustable current limits, Battery and Motor current are independently controlled
- Adjustable voltage limits
- Adjustable RPM limits
- Adjustable Power limits
- Adjustable duty cycle limits
- Adjustable regenerative braking
- Adjustable throttle curves and ramping time
- Real time and Sampled Data monitoring and graphing
- Automatic motor detection and tuning
Motors tested and tuned to work, (Config files available here https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1md26k83i8Agh_BcT1hI3vRV4ectFP86r)
- 1806 - 2300kv (OPBox motor)
- TP2040 - 3Y 6050kv
- SK3 4250
- NTM4248 - 650kv
The A50S runs the popular VESC®*-Project firmware by Benjamin Vedder.
* VESC is a registered TM, owned by Benjamin Vedder