THIS FIRST BATCH IS A PREORDER OFFERED AT A REDUCED PRICE
The A200S V3 is one of the smallest high current/voltage motor controllers available (110x40x26mm). Yet it packs a serious punch!
It has separate power and logic boards.
The A200S V3 was designed specifically for use in Featherweight and Heavyweight combat robots. It runs the extremely popular VESC®*-Project firmware.
Battle hardened with neutral cure silicone rubber.
This is the first design to move away from the standard JST connectors found on many VESC®*-Project designs. We found these tend to pull out in combat and they take up too much space on the PCB to make a compact design.
For this reason we have decided to replace ALL the connectors (apart from USB) with a single 20 pin Pico-Clasp connector. This is a locking connector which lets you fit as many or as few pins as you want.
So if you only want PPM control you only fit the PPM wires. Each unit comes with a connector shell and enough pre-crimped wires to populate the whole connector. We leave it up to you to decide which connections you want.
All IO is protected with TVS diodes.
The unit can be powered by USB from a laptop to allow tweaking settings without needing to connect main batteries. (Very useful when in the pits)
Wireless chip for control / programming using the VESC® Tool mobile app.
Quick tips on setup
!!ONLY USE 1 BEC, cut the 5v wire on all but one or the BEC can be damaged!!
Max battery cable length without additional capacitors is 1m (Battery wires should be short, thick and grouped together, motor wires should be long. So best to place controller near battery with long wires to wherever the motor is located.)
Please be careful when programming settings. Start at low currents and work up. Setting everything at max during initial setup is a bad idea.
We recommend detecting motors using the FOC motor setup wizard. This will automatically find the correct settings for your motor. If you have problems getting your particular motor setup please contact us and we will do our best to help.
If you experience ABS overcurrent faults a lot, then increase your switching speed to 60KHz. Just turning up the abs max current setting is not a good solution as you are only masking the root of the problem.
High voltage LiPo is extremely dangerous if handled incorrectly.
ALWAYS run with a fuse, especially for testing.
- 100A for 10min+ continuous with no additional cooling (A VESC®*6 manages only 40A in this test)
- 200A for 60s before thermal throttling
- 200A+ continuous possible with additional cooling
12S Version has 25% lower resistance than the 16S model.
- Weight ~172g without wires, ~325g with standard wire set
- Dimensions Overall: 111x41x26mm
- Mounting pattern: 4x M4, 101x18mm
- Battery connection wire length: 10cm
- Motor connection wire length: 30cm
- 6061-T6 CNC Machined Aluminium Heatsink.
- MJF 3D printed Nylon 12 case
- Cast Silicone Wire guard and strain relief
- 6x M2.5 A4 stainless bolts
- IMU (BMX160)
- CANBus (5v max)
- Current and Voltage filters
- 3mm FR4 TG170 8Layer 4OZ PCB.
- Wireless for use with VESC®*-Tool mobile app
- Integrated 2.3A 5V BEC
- ALL connections protected by TVS
- USB can be used to power logic - protected by TVS and Polyfuse
- Coming soon - MicroSD Card logging support
- 10cm long, Dual XT60 input connections (can be increased to QUAD XT60 input)
- 30cm long, 8 AWG silicone output cables with 5mm lugs fitted.
-Logic connections (sealed to prevent ingress of debris)
- All in one Pico-Clasp locking connector provides all standard interfaces - PPM, CANBus, ADC, UART, Hall sensors, 5v, 3.3v, SPI, Buttons, Encoder, Motor Temperature, Shutdown pin, SWD Programming.
- USB Micro B
Motor Commutation Modes
- FOC - Sensorless, Hall Sensors or Encoder
- BLDC - Sensorless, Hall Sensors or Encoder
- DC - For driving brushed DC motors on outputs A and C. (Can also be used as a current source or voltage source)
Motor Control Modes
- Current - Controls current to motor irrespective of duty cycle
- Duty Cycle - Controls duty cycle sent to motor irrespective of current
- PID RPM control - Controls motor RPM using a PID loop
- ADC - For use with analogue throttles, supports cruise control and reverse
- UART - For PC control using VESC®* Tool and custom applications
- CANBus - For custom applications, also supports slaving controllers and traction control
- 0-60v, 12 cell LiPo maximum.
- 0-80v, 16 cell LiPo maximum.
- COMING SOON: 0-100v, 20 cell LiPo maximum.
- Software over current protection
- Slow temperature cutoff
- Battery voltage cutoff
Programming features - using VESC®* Tool
- Adjustable current limits, Battery and Motor current are independently controlled
- Adjustable voltage limits
- Adjustable RPM limits
- Adjustable Power limits
- Adjustable duty cycle limits
- Adjustable regenerative braking
- Adjustable throttle curves and ramping time
- Real time and Sampled Data monitoring and graphing
- Automatic motor detection and tuning.
Motors tested / tuned to work, (Config files available here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VuBslCrqLgfR6OeN_VSTMbA88TxtbR_o)
- NTM4248 - 650kv
- Generic - 5065
- TP Power - 5860, 5870
- Revolt - 160SH
- Castle - 2028
The A200S is based upon the VESC®*-Project.
* VESC is a registered TM, owned by Benjamin Vedder